BABY CRIB SAFETY MEASURES YOU SHOULD KNOW
Baby cribs are nice comfort products that stand out as indispensable furniture in your infant’s nursery. Nursing mothers would attest that an excellent crib makes a happy baby. However, much as cribs are designed for the succor of your baby, they could also be responsible for terrible domestic accidents that could leave scars on your baby, lead to their permanent disability or even death
The result of many investigations conducted on many domestic accidents involving infants reveal gross negligence and sheer ignorance of baby crib safety measures on the path of end users. At the other end, some baby crib manufacturers have been found guilty of producing baby furniture far below conventional safety standards.
However, if we will all take responsibility, domestic accidents resulting from carelessness from both ends can be avoided. We all owe our infants a responsibility of nurturing them in a safe domestic environment. We cannot all keep making innocent children suffer a harrowing experience through life or losing precious infants just because one or two baby crib safety measures were ignored.
While we leave the appropriate government agency to pursue enforcing safety standards in the manufacturing process of baby cribs. You would have done your own bit if you are in the know of the necessary safety measures to take into cognizance before purchasing a baby crib; and as you nurture your baby in your home, bear in mind that you would not always be there to supervise their every move; so you just must take proactive measures to keep them in check even when your prying eyes are not any close.
Here are some of the safety standard measures you should be wary of as you raise your infant in your home.
- If you are using pieces of baby furniture handed down or passed on to you, ensure that they meet the current safety requirements for your baby’s age
- Ensure that mattress coverings are fire resistant and flame retardant
- Avoid using cribs with drop rails
- Rid the baby’s sleeping environment of every hazardous material or clothing
- Avoid placing cribs close to the window where the baby can be exposed to direct sunlight
- Get rid of every material like strings that can easily wound round the baby’s hand and neck
- Do not leave blown, bulgy or stuffed item in the crib as the baby may use them as stepping stones to leap over crib rails; so as much as possible keep items like balls, stuffed blankets or large toys away.
- As your child gets taller, he gains height advantage to leap over crib rails; to forestall this; as soon as you notice an increase in your baby’s height, reduce the level of the mattress.
- Every baby cushion apart from the mattress should be removed from the crib; yes you may easily contest this by pointing out that they help absorb impact. but from the incidences of domestic accidents involving infants, they are more of a threat than a help in a crib as they could pose strangulation, suffocation and entanglement threats
- Headboards and footboards should come with no decorative materials that can easily be suspended loosely on the crib.
- Do not lay your baby on soft surfaces like water bed, sheepskin, pillow, sofa, armchair, or other soft surface
- Babies can easily be caught under thick bedding materials, so as much as possible, avoid using thick blankets, duvets, comforters, pillows, and large bedding materials on cribs.
- Follow installation instructions to the letter
- Only use a single layer mattress pad and follow the manufacturer’s direction in making out a play space.
- Whether you are using a crib or a Bassinet, you do not need thick bedding materials rolled up in some way to keep your baby in the sleeping position; such bedding materials only constitute a nuisance to the sleeping comfort of your baby as they could fold up annoyingly and consume a sizeable portion of the space inside the crib.
- Follow the installation procedure recommended by the manufacturer
- Do not hesitate to move an infant that has overgrown staying in a crib to a bigger bed space
It would be a delight to see your baby grow to an adult; it just reminds you that you played your path well. Take up the responsibility now; if you secure that baby now; she would remain ever grateful to you.
So, where can you find the safest cribs?
When it comes to the safety of your child, you obviously want the best. You want the crib to be durable, and high quality.
ModernNursery offers some of the best modern cribs, at almost any budget.
Their cribs are sold with no sales tax, as well as free shipping on orders over $99.
They also offer a 150% Price Match Guarantee against their competitors.