SET UP INSTRUCTIONS FOR ASSEMBLING A BABY CRIB
After the puzzle of selecting and buying a crib kit comes the ‘simple’ task of setting it up. But then, simple may turn difficult if you don’t know where to put what. You could struggle without success and get frustrated time and again if you haven’t taken time out to deliberately learn the ‘how’ of baby crib set-up.
Gladly, putting together a baby crib isn’t rocket science; it’s about one of those interesting moments where you put a momentary pause to your responsibilities as a nursing or expectant parent and quickly travel back in time to your exciting days as a toddler with the builder play toy. Did I hear you say that’s ridiculous? oh dear, if you would just fondly recall this happy, fun-filled time of your life, it would dawn on you that this was one period of your formative years you exercised, sharpened and developed your creative and constructive faculties. You just follow the set of instructions below and again put those faculties to work, and you will get by.
THE 5 DO NOTs
1. Do not ignore the wisdom in two are better than one
If you have always been a lone ranger, this is one task you have to temper the ego and ask for somebody to assist you. You just would be overburdening yourself unnecessarily and get clumsy with handling tools if you want to hold pieced together and screw at the same time. Coupling the components of a baby crib together is one task where you get less productive with multi-tasking. Things are much easier and faster when there is somebody to hold the braces, while you slam and screw.
2. Do not ignore the wisdom in consultation
Half of the job is done when you know exactly what to do with each component even before starting work. Rather than fondle and waste time with trial by error placements, gathering enough knowledge on the right position of every component makes you work with precision and ardor. This way, you’ll save time and work efficiently. Like every other product, baby cribs come with an installation manual that gives you set-up guidance, safety precautions and a list of components you should find in the kit. You would do yourself a world of good to consult them and folks who have had a successful shot at setting up theirs before you commence assembling yours.
3. Do not ignore the wisdom in good arrangement and organization before starting
Also, just before you delve straight into it, doing some ground work is an ever so important step. It is pertinent that you prepare your work place and set your tools in array before you start assembling. Another crucial point to note is that your assembling point should be in your nursery room; this way, you would avoid the bottle necks of narrow entrances and crashing on stationary objects along the way as you try to move the crib from where you assembled it into the nursery. With your tools and the components of the kit orderly spread and arranged before you, fetching them for use would be so easy when you eventually start assembling.
4. Do not ignore the wisdom in following recommended assembling sequence.
When you are assembling a particular brand of crib for the first time, it is not time to take initiatives or invent a faster set-up procedure. The essence of the set-up guide provided by the manufacturer is to give you a tested and objective basis for assembling the crib without much ado. A typical manufacturer’s guide would give you the following set-up sequence
- Set up head and foot boards
- Attach the bracket braces firmly to the head and foot boards in such a way that they face the inside of the crib
- Set up the support system of the mattress by first attaching the rails on the four sides of the head and foot boards. To do this, make the wooden rod screw into holes provided on the latch bracket attached to the headboard and footboard on either side such that they run parallel to each other with the rods held between. Next, attach the mattress platform to the head and foot boards using screws to hold them together at the four sides; usually mattress platforms come with springs.
- Attach the drop side rails that make up the side slats of the crib. Again the latch brackets are the base the rail sits on; put each rod of the rails into the corresponding hole they fit into on both sides of the crib and screw them to the head and foot board.
- Place the mattress on the platform; just before you put the mattress, put some pressure on the platform just to be sure it is firm enough to bear the weight of the baby and the mattress. You may also lay the bed sheet and overlay them with sleeping pads to provide more succor for the baby’s body.
5. Do not ignore the wisdom of doing a final inspection.
You might have put in all the hard work and be smiling to yourself after a job well done but who knows, a screw’s head could still be dangerously sticking out or a part may have been installed wrongly. One last check would help you discover any elusive flaw and you can put everything in perfect order.
Buying Quality Cribs
Proper crib assembly is very important. However, it is also important to purchase a quality crib. When it comes to the safety of your child, you obviously want the best. You want the crib to be durable, and high quality.
ModernNursery offers some of the best modern cribs, at almost any budget.
Their cribs are sold with no sales tax, as well as free shipping on orders over $99.
They also offer a 150% Price Match Guarantee against their competitors.